• Children will be between 4 and 17 years of age and may remain in care until adulthood.
• Children will be in the range of mild or moderate mental retardation with the following exceptions:
A child with a lower cognitive function may be admitted if it is judged that he or she has the potential to function at the mild or moderate level. A child with a higher cognitive level (above the IQ of 70) may be admitted if he/she has a related disorder such as autism, pervasive developmental disorder, or other emotional, behavioral, psychiatric disorder for which this program is prepared to provide effective habilitation.
A young child may be admitted with indicators of the above disorders, but who later tests above the range of mental retardation. Such a child would still be appropriate for the habilitative program as long as his/her needs were consistent with what this program offers.
• Children will have mild to moderate deficits in adaptive functioning.
A child with severe deficits may be admitted if it is deemed probable that he or she has the potential to function at a higher level.
• Children will have needs for a Specialized Service Level.
• Children will be ambulatory.
• Children may be male or female, depending on available bedroom space with roommates of the same gender.
• Children’s health will be stable.
• Children’s vision and hearing will be functional.
• Seizure disorders present will be controlled.
• Children will not require skilled nursing care.
• Children will not be actively suicidal, homicidal, psychotic or have a history of fire setting.
For admissions and referrals, please complete this contact form, or call: 210-623-5419